Wednesday, February 25, 2015

finishing up....

i haven't been feeling at all productive lately. the more snow we move, the more snow there is. the streets and walks are so full that if i want to walk, i really need to chose the time of day carefully... and i need those walks to keep my sanity loving winter in new york! my only true winter complaint is what it does to my hands. they are raw & bleeding. i've been lotioning, balming, glove wearing, you name it, i'm on it. bottom line... dry, cold air = dry, cold skin. i can spin in small doses, and i keep on knitting, but it's a bummer.
so what is done? a cowl and a wrap, both from the knitting circle event. i came home so energized to make these items! first the cowl. this was starts and stops until i got a needle size that gave me the fabric i wanted....
love it, love it love it. dense, stretchy and oh so soft! i think i have enough yarn to make another ( and with all the longing glances it has received, i may need to make another for myself :)
i also had a wonderful time with my gnarled paws yarn. love the color, construction and feel to this fiber, and i even added beads!
this is the bench that i usually use for my shawl photos. i tried to get to it, but gave up when i couldn't stand the snow in my boots, the howling wind and zero temps. even the dogs stayed in their path looking at me like i was nuts.
so i tossed it over the pool fence and just laughed out loud. there is about two foot of snow on the pool shed roof and even more than that on the pool itself. spring will be an adventure.
i really modified the snot out of the basic pattern. i added more rows, put beads on the last lace section and made up my own border borrowing heavily on the medusa bind-off. i love it. can't wait to take it out, it's light, yet still holds the warmth. i thinking it will be lovely with a long sleeve t and jeans. and boots. and mittens. and a down jacket. and i may need to wait for warmer temps to enjoy it.
i'm turning my attention back to the sea-side rumpus. the best part of this winter is having a pile of wool in my lap :)

No comments: